2.16.2010

Tell All Tuesday | Philadelphia Photographer

Question from J:

What lense do you use the most for indoor and outdoor? I am looking into getting a few new lenses but dont have millions to spend and its easy to spend alot. Also right now I dont have studio lighting just been using natural window light for indoor shots, should I invest in that if I have a shoot that doesnt have alot of natural light inside?

Well, first off, let me post a part of the FAQ section located HERE on my website:

Q: What equipment do you use?
A: I love when other photographers share what type of equipment they use, so although my equipment isn't my dream "line up," I'm happy to share what I currently own and shoot with. I started with a Canon Digital Rebel XT and loved it; however, in February 2009 I upgraded to a Canon 40D. Virtually every picture on my website was taken with my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. In July 09 I was able to add the Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens to my bag and I love it. Since then I've used it almost exclusively for every outdoor session. I use the Tamron 17-50mm for every indoor shot, since the 85mm is too tight for me to use indoors on my crop sensor camera.

To add to that, I'll say that my dream line up (right now) is:
  • Canon 5D Mark II
  • 24-70mm f/2.8
  • 50mm f/1.2
  • 85mm f/1.2
Someday...but for now, I do like how the Tamron 17-50mm lens performs indoors. And the aperture is fixed at 2.8 throughout the range of the lens, which isn't common for zooms. So you can achieve a bit of nice-ish bokeh even zoomed in all the way to 50mm. It only works on crop-sensor cameras, though, just FYI. I also loooove my 85 1.8 lens. I've had a 50mm 1.8 in the past, and while it was better than, say, a kit lens, the 85 1.8 is a much better performer in my book. On my crop sensor camera, it makes it too tight to use indoors, but outdoors I adore it. And I found an almost-new mint copy on Craigslist for $300. Not bad for the quality of the lens.

Now onto the lighting question. I know that adding my light has helped me this winter...I like it because it doesn't add weird white balance issues...it seems to compliment the natural light very well and doesn't come off looking like any studio lights are being used at all. The one I own was only $40 on Amazon and is very low-watt, so it doesn't give off a ton of light at all. I think it's a pretty small investment that could definitely help in low-light situations. I'm also planning on investing in a reflector when I can, which I think will help utilize as much available natural light as possible. HERE'S A LINK to the light I own.

Thanks for your question, J! Hope that helps...

3 comments:

Adri said...

Thanks! I had been wondering. Now a new question - what is a crop sensor camera?

BHphotography said...

You're great Danica! Now can you just teach me how to do it all? hahaha :) You're so talented!

Julie Hawryluk said...

Thank you so much! It is so hard to get questions answeared with other photographers or ones that are willing to share!! I have so many questions so as they pop into my head I will send them your way ;) I shoot with a Canon 40D as well so that works out nicely. And I didnt know I could do Tamron lenses with my camera so thanks for that as well!
Jules

Blog Archive

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP